How Does SEO Help My Business?
What is SEO? SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization? It's the biggest factor (outside of quality products and services) that determines how successful a website or business will perform online. Many small businesses fail each year simply because they failed to invest the necessary time and money into good SEO. SEO is so critical to success, that the Google search engine requires that websites meet its standards of quality and function before it's ranked. If your website isn't up to standards, then it will be ranked last.
Can I do my own SEO?
Of course you can do you do your own SEO, some markets are easier to come out on top simply because the majority of those businesses in that market fail to use SEO or have really bad SEO implementation. SEO is Difficult and will consume a lot of your time in the beginning. It also takes time to measure the results of SEO implementation which means that you'll need to be patient. Making changes out of the blue simply because you think something isn't working or because you think something is better, is a great way to fail. Here are a few things that you'll need to be able to do in order to implement your own SEO.
- Understand Marketing Basics. Don't guess about this do some research. There's more to marketing basics than you think
- Learn to write content and articles on your website. You can always have someone write articles for you, if article writing is a weakness for you. Always make sure that the person writing articles for you have a good understanding about your business or the industry that you are in.
- Learn how to communicate with other people online and how to gain their interest. This type of communication is focused on the soft sell as you build positive relationships with potential customers.
- Learn how to use social media outlets like linkedin and Facebook
- Learn about keywords, their function, and why they are important to search engines.
- Learn about Search Engines and how they function in terms of ranking websites.
This is only half of what is out there when it comes to SEO. It takes a lot of work and effort to get it right and it's not a one time thing that is done. SEO implementation happens year round as you'll need to monitor trends, analyze your website traffic, and determine which articles and marketing efforts are helping and which were of no help at all.
Is SEO expensive?
Yes. You can expect to pay $4000 and more a month for good SEO. It's a lot of work and the faster you want your SEO to work the more you'll end up paying for it. You can get SEO for as low as $1000 but it won't be the full SEO packagage where everything is covered. Many of the services provided are based on a website / SEO analysis that take a look at how your website is currently performing. The purpose of the analysis is to understand what is working and what needs to be changed. Always ask for an analysis even if your website is peforming like trash and you haven't had a visitor to your website in 5 years. The analysis will help you understand some of the things you were doing wrong and will help you form destroying the SEO professional's hard work. I had a clients who ignored the analysis that I gave and made changes to their website that caused their website to drop from #3 in the search engine rankings to #5. This business had monthly customers from January - May and eventually had none before the year ended due to the changes that they made (erased all of the wording and put their own). If you are going to pay good money for a SEO service then a least take the time to actually read the analysis and learn why the changes are good to your website. There is nothing wrong with using your own wording, as long as you give the SEO professional your wording at the beginning of the project.